Cranach im Gotischen Haus Bilder

Presse SAN EN

Sprachauswahl

Icon LEER left

Cranach in the Gothic House

16 MAY – 4 OCTOBER 2015
The Cultural Foundation DessauWörlitz is making a special contribution to the many tributes on offer in the Cranach Year 2015 with its exhibition in the Gothic House. Beginning in 1773, the Duke of Anhalt-Dessau began establishing the Gothic House in Wörlitzer Park as a chamber of arts amidst an assemblage of Gothic architecture. The focus of the collection was on works of Old German and Old Dutch paining. The collection once included nearly 600 paintings, among them masterpieces by Lucas Cranach the Elder and Lucas Cranach the Younger and their workshops. The Gothic House still has 18 paintings connected to the Cranach family, among them the important full-length portraits of Joachim Ernst of Anhalt-Dessau and his wife Agnes von Barby, by Lucas Cranach the Younger.

The exhibition presents the works for the first time in a reconstruction of the historic hangings. Some of the works are displayed in one-to-one photographic reproductions. The exhibition recreates the original context of the collection for the viewer, offering insight into its art-historical and historical aspects while allowing the visitor to retrace the Duke’s political and religious aims


Judith with the Head of Holofernes In the school of Cranach, ca. 1530, detail
The Old Testament book of Judith recounts the story of Judith, a Jewish woman, who impressed the Assyrian ruler Holofernes with her beauty after he laid siege to the village of Bethulia. Judith exploited this admiration and killed the drunken Holofernes. To the left of the head of Holofernes is the inscription 15 AD 25. This inscription was intended to suggest the painting was by Albrecht Dürer, whose work was more highly regarded during the 18th century.

Organisation Gothic house

ADMISSION
TICKET “GOTHIC HOUSE“

Single ticket: 7 euros

Reduced single ticket: 5 euros
Buy a ticket


OPENING HOURS
Tue-Sun, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.


TOURS


CRANACH IN THE GOTHIC HOUSE IN WÖRLITZ
For groups up to 15 persons

Beginning in 1784, Duke Franz of Anhalt-Dessau began collecting paintings by old German masters, including more than 30 works by the Cranachs. In the Gothic House, the collection is presented for the first time in a reconstruction of the original hanging. The tour offers insight into the art-historical and historical aspects of the collection as well as the Duke’s political and religious aims.

Tour fee: 40 euros plus admission fee (German)

Duration: 1 hour
Book now


GOTHIC HOUSE
Wörlitzer Park
06785 Oranienbaum-Wörlitz


SERVICE
Service Office „Cranach 2015“
Luther Memorials Foundation of Saxony-Anhalt
T. +49 (0) 34 91-420 31 71 │ service@cranach2015.de


ORGANIZER

Cultural Foundation DessauWörlitz
www.gartenreich.com


Icon LEER right

Book now Gothic house

Book now!

Footer Sachsen-Anhalt en